Dr.P.H., Public Health, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Texas, 1980
Ph.D., Health Education/Computer Science, University of Oregon, 1976
M.S., Health Education, State University of New York (SUNY) at Brockport, 1971
B.S., Biology, SUNY at Brockport, 1969
A.S., Health and Physical Education, Orange County Community College, 1967
- Application of technology to public health
- Translational research and evaluation
- Primary audiences:
- Policy makers
- Traditionally underserved populations
Selected Publications (within last 10 years)
Braun B, Horowitz AM, Kleinman DV, Gold RS, Radice SD, Maybury CA. Health Literacy: At the Intersection of Schools and Public Health. J Calif Dent Assn. (in press)
Atkinson NL, Desmond SM, Saperstein, SL, Billing AS, Gold RS, and Tournas-Hardt A. (2010) Assets, Challenges, and the Potential of Technology for Nutrition Education in Rural Communities. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. Volume 42 (6), 410-416.
Atkinson, N.L., Saperstein, S.L., Desmond, S.M., Gold, R.G. Billing, A.S., Tian, J. (2009) Rural eHealth nutrition education for limited-income families: An Iterative and User-centered Design Approach. J Med Internet Res. Apr-Jun; 11(2): e21.
Saperstein, S.L., Atkinson, N.L., and Gold, R.S. (2007) The impact of internet use for weight loss. Obesity Reviews, 8, 459-465.
Tian, J., Atkinson, N.L., Portnoy, B., Gold, R.S. (2007). Systematic review of the current literature on formal CME evaluation studies. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 27(1):16-27.
Atkinson, N.L., Billing, A.S., Desmond, S.M., Gold, R.G., Tournas-Hardt, A. (2007). Assessment of the nutrition and physical activity education needs of low-income, rural mothers: Can technology play a role? Journal of Community Health, 32(4), 245-267.
Shegog, R; Bartholomew, LK; Gold, RS; Pierrel, E; Parcel, GS; Sockrider, MM; Czyzewski, DI; Fernandez, ME; Berlin, NJ; Abramson, S. (2006) Asthma Management Simulation for Children: Translating Theory, Methods, and Strategies to Effect Behavior Change. Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare. 1(3):151-159.
Shegog R, Bartholomew LK, Czyzewski DI, Sockrider MM, Craver J, Pilney S, Mullen PD, Koeppl P, Gold RS, Fernandez M, Abramson SL. (2004) Development of an expert system knowledge base: a novel approach to promote guideline congruent asthma care. J Asthma; 41(4):385-402.
Gold, R.S., and N.L. Atkinson (Drafters). 2003. Objective 11-1: Internet Access in the Home. In Communicating Health: Priorities and Strategies for Progress. Action Plans to Achieve the Health Communication Objectives in Healthy People 2010. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
Craver, J.C., & Gold, R.S., (2002) Research collaboratories: Their potential for health behavior researchers. American Journal of Health Behavior, 26(6), 504-510.
- Founding Director - SUNY Brockport Drug Information Resource Center
- Founding Director - UMD Minority Health Research Laboratory
- Government Project Officer - National School Health Education Evaluation Study (ODPHD / CDC)
- Identified as one of 50 key leaders in Health Education: Key Leaders In Health Education: A Century of Commitment. Eta Sigma Gamma, November 1990
- First Principal Investigator on CDC Funded National School Health Policies and Programs Study (SHPPS)
- Founding Director - UMD Public Health Informatics Research Laboratory
- Founding Dean - University of Maryland School of Public Health
- Awarded the John P. McGovern Medal for Distinguished Contributions to Health Education, American School Health Association, Honolulu, HI, July 2007
- Elected President, Society for Public Health Education
- Awarded Honorary Doctorate of Sciences - State University of New York (May 2012)